Special set 20 years later airs on November 24
The official Twitter account for the 50th anniversary special of the family television anime Sazae-san revealed on Tuesday that Rena Matsui will play a 31-year-old Hayakawa in the special’s live-action segment.
In the anime, Hayakawa was one of Katsuo’s classmates, and was friends with Hanazawa and Kaori. In the live-action segment set 20 years later, Hayakawa is the first among her friends to be married, and is now a housewife. She maintains a good relationship with her old friends.
The live-action segment’s cast members include (from left to right in image above):
Other cast members include:
- Shinya Kote as Masuo’s co-worker Anago
- Norito Yashima as Sazae’s cousin Norisuke Namino
- Taiki Nakabayashi as Wakame’s boyfriend Takeshi Kaizuka
- Yū Inaba as Norisuke’s son Ikura Namino
- Kazuyuki Asano as Sazae-san’s neighbor Nanbutsu Isasaka.
- Keiko Horiuchi as Taiko Namino, the wife of Sazae-san’s cousin Norisuke
- Kunikazu Katsumata as delivery man Sabu-chan
- Tomoka Kurokawa as Kaori, one of Katsuo’s classmates
The special will premiere on November 24, and will air for three and a half hours on Fuji TV. Masayuki Suzuki is directing the live-action segment, and Tomoko Akutsu is penning the script.
The live-action segment will depict the family 20 years into the future. This segment serves as a follow-up to the September 2018 sequel stage play that imagines the family 10 years into the future.
The anime segment of the special will bring in fantasy elements as it depicts the past of Sazae’s family, as well as a family trip. Earlier this year, the staff chose 28 families from Tokyo’s Asahigaoka district (the setting of the Sazae-san story) to be animated into the series, and this anniversary special’s anime segment will feature three of those families. These families’ names will even appear in the anime segment.
Sources: Sazae-san 50th anniversary special’s Twitter account, The Mainichi Shimbun’s Comic Natalie